As just about any high school student will tell you, Earth has seven continents. But researchers from Australia and New Zealand are challenging this fundamental notion by proposing an eighth continent in the oceans east of Australia. Dubbed Zealandia, 94 percent of its landmass is currently underwater, with New Zealand's Aoraki (Mount Cook) its highest point. If ultimately accepted, it might call for a, um, new atlas... Continue Reading Is “Zealandia” Earth’s newest continent?
- Continental drift calls for rethink of Australia's geographic coordinates
- National Geographic looks at life on Mars with London model home
- City Lights Globe shows how the Earth looks at night
- Better security and customization when your car recognizes you
- Bentley Continental GT3-R: The gentleman's racer
- NASA drops mini robots into volcano for science